When you start orthodontic treatment, we want you to feel confident every step of the way. We’ve put together a guide to help you care for your teeth while in braces so your smile stays healthy during and after your treatment.Book A Free Consultation
- Cut hard food into small pieces
- Brush gently using fluoride toothpaste after you eat - or at least twice a day
- Floss each night, using floss threaders to get behind the archwires
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash (like Peroxyl) to soothe and prevent inflammation
- Attend your regular check-ups and cleanings with your general dentist
- Attend your check-up appointments with Dr. Narula and your care team
- Call us immediately if a bracket or wire breaks and schedule a repair
- Chew hard things – such as fingernails, pencils, ice, or large pieces of hard food
- Eat sticky or chewy candy – such as gum or caramel, which can dislodge your brackets
- Skip brushing or miss appointments
Cleaning your braces
There are a few things that can help you keep your braces clean.
You can use an interdental toothbrush to clean behind and around your wires, but be extra careful to avoid bending or breaking any part of your braces.
You can also ask your care team about Phos-Flur. It’s a sodium fluoride gel that helps prevent tooth decay by killing bacteria and replacing minerals in tooth enamel that have been exposed to harmful acids.
You’ll use Phos-Flur once a day, in addition to brushing. It goes on your toothbrush like toothpaste, and you only need to brush with it for one minute. After that, it’s important that you don’t eat or drink anything for 30 minutes to let it do its work!